One week of commuting on the Jacksonville, Florida bus system as reported by an interactive designer at The Robin Shepherd Group

30 November 2006

To Work - 11.30


I ran out of coffee at my house this morning. And I need my coffee in the morning. So I left a couple minutes early and walked the few blocks up to Starbucks on Atlantic and 3rd Street. I assumed that since my daily R1 bus drove down Atlantic it would surely have some stops closer to 3rd street.

Starbucks in Atlantic Beach

I was right. I passed at least three more stops on my walk, the closest being about 100 yards from the front door of Starbucks. So, I got my coffee, sat down on the bench and listened to some news from my BBC World Today Select Podcast. There was a very interesting story about Steven Hawking saying we should go colonize other planets to ensure the survival of the human race. Far out stuff.

Bus stop at Starbucks

The bus was pretty full today. Almost every row had a person in it. Unfortunately I think this slowed us down. All the stops to pick up passengers gave me about a 2-minute window to get aboard the W1 at the main station. Usually I make it with about five to ten minute to spare. But today the W1 was already sitting in its bay when we pulled in.

I think if I would have missed it I could have taken the R5 since it travels the same route, but I have no idea when it leaves from the “Central Hub.” Look at me, seasoned veteran already.

No Bus Stop Sign

As a side note, it was a beautiful day out today. I broke a sweat waiting for the bus, drinking coffee in Atlantic Beach. Ah, Florida.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home